College of

ACC/FIN-2 Local Travel & Reimbursement

Effective Date: 7-1-14
Last Revised Date: 7-1-14
Responsible Party: CHM Business Office
Persons Affected: Employees in all units of the Dean’s Office

1.0 Policy/Purpose:

Employees may be expected or required to travel locally for job-related reasons.
Occasional local travel will not be reimbursed. Local travel that is required as a frequent and
essential part of the job will be reimbursed for mileage and for parking fees incurred in nonuniversity-owned or leased parking; per diems do not apply. Reimbursement for frequent and
essential local travel requires maintenance of a travel log and should not be requested more than
once per month. Exceptions for unusual situations may be granted by the college's chief Financial
Officer or Associate Dean for Administration.

2.0 Definitions:

2.1 Local travel: Travel for work-related reason within a 15-mile radius of the employee's base
work location that does not involve an overnight stay. Examples include, but are not limited to:
travel between buildings on campus; travel between employee's base work location on campus and
Sparrow Hospital; travel between Secchia Center and Pine Rest; travel to local retail outlets to
purchase supplies.

2.2 Frequent and essential local travel: Local travel that is required in order for the employee to
perform the essential functions of the job as described in the position description. Examples
include: community outreach program specialists whose job it is to visit numerous physician offices
in the community on a regular basis.

2.3 Occasional Local Travel: Local travel that occurs infrequently or irregularly and is not
absolutely required in order for the employee to perform the essential functions of the job as
described in the job description. Hourly employees may refuse a request from their supervisor for
occasional local travel. Example: running an errand to purchase supplies at a local retail outlet.

3.0 Procedures:

3.1 If eligible as defined in the policy, document trip mileage on a travel log. An example of a log is
included for your reference.

3.2 Request mileage and parking reimbursement by completing and submitting a Disbursement
Voucher in the EBS system and attach Pre-Trip authorization, Travel Expense Report, and
Mileage log (or MapQuest printout). Office of the Controller travel website: